,

Saturday, July 20, 2019

Philosophy of Education Essay -- Philosophy of Teaching Statement

Philosophy of Education I spent some time looking back upon my time in elementary, junior high and high school and thinking about all of my favorite teachers, and what exactly made them such outstanding, inspiring educators. I came to several conclusions. A good teacher is one who can not only show a student how to add four and seven, but also help them see why it is important for them to know how to do so. A good teacher is one who can explain to a child the process of photosynthesis while at the same time instilling an appreciation for the beauty of a flower. A good teacher is one who can accept and cherish a hug from a child and conveniently overlook the muddy handprints left on her skirt. I feel that successful teaching is made of several components that build upon and complement each other. Love and discipline, understanding and encouragement, and patience and persistence constitute a pyramid for the educational process. The foundation of teaching should be love and discipline. In order to promote a safe environment that is conducive to learning, teachers must establish classroom rules that are few but fair. It is the teacher's responsibility to enforce those rules without prejudice or without favoring one student over another. I agree with the existentialist philosophy that students should be taught to take full responsibility for their own actions. However, discipline--or any other facet of teaching, for that matter--is useless without love. It has been said that people do not care how much you know until they know how much you care. I believe that has a definite application in the field of teaching. A teacher who does not show his or her students that rules and regulations are for their benefit, not to stifle or di... ..., it is the teacher's responsibility to be a positive role model, both on and off the school grounds. Teachers should strive to model integrity, kindness, and determination. I have a passion for teaching and a desire to be, among many things, a mend, encouragement, and inspiration to my students. My future educational plans include the pursuit of a Bachelor of Arts degree in English/Writing and a Bachelor of Science degree in Secondary Education and possibly return to school to obtain a Masters degree in Education as well. My ideal teaching position would be as English teacher at the school from which I graduated, Rainelle Christian Academy, but teaching at a public school is certainly not out of the question for me either. If the title can be attained through hard work, compassion, persistence, and motivation, I will one day be called someone’s â€Å"favorite teacher.†

No comments:

Post a Comment